Cowhide rugs and other animal skin area rugs have been resurfacing in many designer homes. What used to be considered out-of-date is now part of the trend in interior design.
Taking care of your cow hide area rug or other type of animal skin rug is important to keep it looking great. To do this, you will need a few tools:
· A brush with hard bristles
· A sponge
· Vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment
· Spot cleaner
Cleaning Your Hide Rug
1. Vacuum regularly. Over a short amount of time your rug will accumulate dirt that will find its way down into the fibers of your rug. By vacuuming regularly, you can avoid having to get your rug professionally cleaned as often as well elongated the life of the rug and the floor beneath it. Use the brush attachment of your vacuum to get deep into the fibers and make sure to move the attachment in the direction that the fur naturally runs. Depending on the size of your rug, you can also periodically take it outside beat it with a broom or carpet beater. This will help to dislodge any contaminants that are too deep to be reached by a vacuum.
2. Never soak your cow hide rug. When you are cleaning your area rug, be careful not to soak it completely, as this can cause long term damage to the rug. Cow hide rugs are tanned in order to better preserve the proteins on the skin. By soaking your rug you can disrupt the tanning materials on your rug. When you are finished spot cleaning it, take it outside into the sunlight to dry it out immediately. The UV from the sun will help to kill off some bacteria, germs or other contaminants that are embedded in your rug.
3. Never use an alkaline cleansing soap on your cowhide rug. Some dirt and spill will need some spot cleaning soap to get the stain out. Leather soaps and baby shampoos are good options for getting out stains on cow hide rugs with hair. Use your household sponge and rub gently until the stain disappears. Again, make sure to take your rug outside to dry immediately after cleaning and rinsing.
By following these simple guidelines for at-home maintenance, your cow hide rug will stay in great condition for years and will continue to impress guests who visit your home. In the event of larger, more stubborn stains, call Bal Arisi, Area Rug Washing and Repair (267) 918-2085.